MON PETIT AVATAR

Saturday, October 2, 2010

My Burmese delights!

Most of my friends are surprised to know about me not eating สัมตำ (som tam- shredded unripe papaya salad, ขนมจีนนำ้ยากะท (khanom jin namya kathi - rice noodle with coconut curry), ข้าวหมกไก่ (khaao mok kai-Chicken Briyani), ข้าวมันไก่ (khaao man kai- chicken rice), the well known food of Thailand. What can I say, I don’t like the texture and smell of unripe papaya and long bean or the food prepared with sugar. Of course there are a few Thai foods I love to eat all of the time, but today I am in the mood to talk about Burmese food in Bangkok.



I usually parcel up the briyani and eat them at home!

It is fortunate for me to be able to eat Briyani, Shew Taung noodles or any other Burmese food from Seik Taing Kya teahouse, near ABAC. We can pull it together some dishes at home, like Shwe Taung Noodles or tofu salad, but it is not worth spending a few hours for a meal or two. So going there for lunch or dinner occasionally is the best option for us. It has gained popularity among Burmese and other nationalities and I would like to assert that the above dishes are worth checking out.

Here is the awful truth about the other recently opened shop near the area: the rice vermicelli and the soup were tasteless, and I was dying to eat my instant wai wai rice vermicelli soup from home. The chicken and quail eggs are ok, but not great and I think my fellow bloggers can put together better than this. Oh, wait, I like their choice of plates, and genuinely believe that they can be successful when they have a better cook. If anyone from the shop is reading this, I am sorry, may be “too many cooks spoil the broth”.


Central World is now reopened: it smells new, fresh and I’d like to take my hat off to those who made effort to become alive again @ Ratchaprasong intersection.



0 comments:

Post a Comment